We’ve all been there… a phone call that changes the rest of the day. A conversation with a friend that feels like a gut punch. An expense you didn’t count on that drains your bank account. A circumstance you would never ask for.
When life takes unexpected turns, it’s easy to be overwhelmed by where it goes. And yet, God has not changed. He remains the same, regardless of what we face. These are the times we have to rehearse the truth—to remind our hearts of what is true and to tell our souls to hope in God.
When life’s troubles feel big and you feel small, remember…
God is near. When you are overwhelmed, remember that God isn’t watching you struggle off at a distance—He’s right there with you, present for all of it. He is Emmanuel, God with us.
- “The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.“ Psalm 34:18
- The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
God fulfills. God knows every desire of your heart and He promises to fulfill the ones that bring Him glory and serve your good.
- “He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:19
- “The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.” Psalm 138:8
God hears. Like a mother’s ear attuned to her baby’s cry, God hears us when we cry out to Him. And He doesn’t just hear, He also responds.
- “The LORD is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous.” Proverbs 15:29
- “But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him.” Psalm 4:3
- “When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.” Psalm 34:17
God saves. As a child of God, we have access to the saving power that brought Israel out of Egypt, rescued Daniel from the mouth of lions, led Israel to victory in battle, saved David from Saul’s attacks, sent a baby to rescue the world from sin, and then raised Jesus from the dead. God has always saved His people and His character does not change.
- “My shield is with God, who saves the upright in heart.” Psalm 7:10
- “Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he will answer him from his holy heaven with the saving might of his right hand.” Psalm 20:6
So, friend, if the problems you’re facing are overwhelming and you feel small and ill-equipped to handle them, remember: It’s okay to be small when God is big. God is near. He fulfills our desires. He hears us, and He saves us.
Turn your heart, lift your head, and look to Him—He is more faithful than you know.
Because of grace,
*Some of the content from this post originally appeared in a reel on February 28, 2022.
GraceLaced Products mentioned:
Preach To Yourself Deck