We spent some time visiting Grandma and Granpa's mountain home this past weekend. Few things refresh the soul like brisk mountain air, a glass of iced tea on the back porch, and the smell of a BBQ grill working hard to get dinner on the table. My father-in-law, who's cajun dust is a hit on grilled meats, proves to be quite the creative veggie griller as well! He made some of his delicious grilled basil and parmesan topped tomatoes for us. Here's how it's done. You won't be disappointed.
Grilled Basil-Parmesan Topped Tomatoes
- cocktail tomatoes, or any round tomatoes approx. 1-2 inch. in diameter
- olive oil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
1. Slice the tomatoes in half widthwise.
2. Arrange tomato halves on a cookie sheet or platter.
3. Drizzle a tiny amount of olive oil on each half.
4. Sprinkle tops of tomato halves with several pinches of grated parmesan. Season with garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper.
5. Carefully transfer to the grill. Dad places them on the outer edge of his grill while cooking the rest of dinner. He says this keeps the tomatoes from cooking up to quickly.
6. Watch closely--you're looking for the tops to be melted, and the tomatoes to be tender, just ever-so-slightly charred
Enjoy your weekend, friends!