Today I wanted to share one of our favorite easy meals to cook as a family. We're using leftover ingredients in our fridge to make some weekend fried rice. It's easy, and you probably already have most everything you need to make your own version. The instructions are below, as well as a video of how we like to make it!
As we are all spending a little more time closer to home these days, you can use this quarantine period as perfect time to practice inefficiency with your kids. Sometimes, slow and inefficient teaches and encourages them...and us.
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups grilled chicken, diced ham, shrimp or any protein (optional)
8 eggs, beaten
One bunch green onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz. bag of frozen peas and carrots or mixed veggies, thawed
Vegetable oil, approx. 8 tbs, more as needed
Soy sauce to taste, approx. 1/2 cup
Splash of sesame oil
Hoisin sauce, sriracha, sweet chili sauce to taste
1. Dice your protein.
2. Dice green onions.
3. Add oil to skillet, add onions and garlic and sauté. We use only one pot for the entire recipe.
4. Whisk eggs in a bowl.
5. Push green onions to the side of your pan, add eggs into the center and scramble.
6. Mix in rice.
7. Add in protein.
8. Make a hole in the center of your pan, and stir in veggies.
9. Add hoisin sauce to taste.
10. Ready to serve -- we like adding sriracha, but you can add sweet chili sauce or any other you like!
There are lots of other archived recipes on the blog where you can enjoy my non-professional attempts at feeding this family of six boys and a husband (plus weekly guests at the table) over the years. You can check out the recipe archives here. We hope you enjoyed and found this recipe helpful during this time when you get to invest, right at home!
Because of grace,
Blog post updated 3/28/20.