Chalkboard art is everywhere. It's super charming, and so simple to create. Well...okay...let me back up. Conceptually, it's so easy, but in reality, chalkboard art requires lots of practice and a steady hand. If you are new to chalkboard art, here are some helpful how-to tips. And, for inspiration, these are my favorite chalkboard artists (you can buy their prints on etsy here and here!)
Remember when I tried my hand at it? That was NOT a 15 minute project...
I posted about the amazing baby shower thrown in my honor on Tuesday. As a hostess gift for each of the 9 hostesses of my recent baby shower for Number 6, I needed a personal, but affordable gift. I decided to make them each a set of personalized blank notecards with their initials and unique sentiments. There are so many ways you can use this idea. It's pretty simple...Here's how you can make your own:
1. With sponge applicator, paint a rectangle "chalkboard" onto the front of your notecard. It really need not be perfect--it's better if it's not! Let it dry.
2. With chalk, and font examples, personalize each chalkboard card with an initial, sentiment, or message. Take care not to smear. If you mess up, you can start over by "erasing" with a damp paper towel. (Tip: it helps to soak the chalk in water first.)
3. Once paint is dry and chalk is drawn, set the chalk with a fine mist of fixative spray, or in my case, aerosol hairspray since it's what I had. (Tip: If you use aerosol hairspray, make sure you are giving it a fine mist, or you will see the hairspray spots.) The chalk will first seem to disappear, then reappear when drying. Let dry completely. Now your chalk won't smear!
4. Carefully stack your notecards and press between heavy books overnight.
5. Bind notecards and envelopes together with ribbon or string for a lovely gift set!
Let me know if you try this simple project. Wouldn't it be cute as a blank gift set kit with chalk included? Or as thank you cards? The possibilities are endless!
The GraceLaced studio is moving!
The GraceLaced studio and fulfillment center are moving!
Due to the move, all print and notecards orders placed between Saturday, February 17 and Thursday, February 22 may take as long as 10 days to ship. We thank you for your patience during this time and we're looking forward to getting settled in our new space soon.