- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sour cream a bit of milk for consistency
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 5 cups frozen peas/veggies, thawed a couple squirts of worchestershire sauce
- dash of oregano, dash of thyme, dash garlic powder, etc.
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, sour cream, and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash or puree in blender, and set aside. Preheat oven to 375F.
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
Skim off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
Add ketchup, beef broth, worchestershire sauce, and mixed veggies. Add spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Spread the ground beef mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
Next, spread a layer of mashed carrots.
Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.